One of the common misconceptions about SEO is how long it takes to start generating leads. While SEO is one of the most reliable and cost-effective sources of Web-based traffic, it takes a while to establish a new presence in competitive markets.
Here are some facts about SEO:
- Your domain age does not have a direct bearing on rankings. In other words, an old website still needs good SEO to rank!
- Google estimates 6-9 months before an SEO campaign starts to produce results.
- In our experience, this timetable is often longer for attorneys entering highly competitive markets for the first time. You may be looking at a year or even 18 months before you break onto page 1 for highly competitive results. We have also seen websites rank on page one in as little as three months, depending on their history.
We have found that it helps to enter SEO with the right mindset–and with the right approach. Long-term sustainability requires an approach that aligns with best practices. If you are in a place where you can’t afford to wait 6-12 months for a case, consider the following options for DIY SEO:
- You can take steps to start ranking in the maps by setting up a Google My Business listing and placing your website in key directories such as Yelp, Facebook, Avvo, and Justia.
- Consider using Pay-Per-Click (PPC) as a short-term solution. While it does not offer the long-term benefits of SEO, you have more control over your targeting and can increase/decrease spend as needed.
- Get some content on your website. Whether you do a small content marketing package or add some content of your own to the website, this can help build rankings for the cases you want. Just remember to write good content that isn’t copied.
- Keep your brand active! Participate in community events, sponsor local organizations/businesses, and get your name out there! You are setting the stage for a shorter ranking timeline when you do decide to pull the trigger on SEO.
Whatever you choose, remember that Internet Marketing–especially SEO–is a long-term play. Forward-thinking attorneys will get the most out of their Internet marketing strategies. If you have more questions about how to build your law firm’s organic traffic, reach out to the SEO marketing experts at SLS Consulting, Inc. by calling (323) 254-1510.
- Ask SLS
- Bail Bonds
- Google My Business
- Google Updates
- Holidays and Other Fun Stuff
- Law Firm Management
- Legal Online Marketing
- Local Search
- Ms. White Hat’s SEO Corner
- Online Brand Development
- Online Content Development
- Online Review Sites
- Search Engine Optimization
- SLS News
- Social Media Marketing
- Video Marketing
- Website Design